COVID Safe Event Plan
In July 2021 our event crew, alongside Queensland Health, Pathology Queensland, the Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) and Queensland Police, delivered the first COVID Safe, large-scale, multi-day music festival since the start of the pandemic. The Birdsville Big Red Bash brought together 9,427 Bashers from across Australia to dance, sand-surf and celebrate Aussie music and culture, and we can't wait to bring the Bash to the beautiful Mundi Mundi Plains later this year.
With the support of the Queensland Government and Tourism and Events Queensland, we were able to implement a first class COVID Safe Event Plan. The cornerstones of our plan were:
- Rapid on-site COVID testing, provided by Queensland Health and Pathology Queensland.
- Close collaboration with local authorities, including Queensland Health and Queensland Police, to ensure a coordinated approach.
- Consistent, clear communication to educate patrons about our COVID Safe plan, including sharing public health messages from the Queensland and South Australian State Governments.
- A massive, open-air venue: we expanded our entire site, from the campground to walkways, to allow for easy social distancing. The Concert and Plaza areas alone covered 100,000 square metres - well over 4 square metres per person.
- We provided hand sanitiser stations at the entry and exit to all public and indoor areas. There were 100 sanitiser locations across the site, and we distributed approximately 500 litres during the event.
- Regular cleaning of toilets and all high-touch points.
- Socially distanced queueing.
- Providing patron contact information to the QLD government, to assist with contact tracing if required.
We'd like to thank everyone involved - and a big thanks to all our patrons for their support, and for coming on the COVID Safe journey with us!
To find out more about some of the planning and preparation that went on behind the scenes to keep the Big Red Bash COVID Safe, watch this video.