Camping on the red dirt is an amazing experience, and we’re here to help make sure you’re self-sufficient, bush-ready and prepared for an incredible time camping in the outback.
For many of you, this may be your first time camping in the outback! It can be hard to know where to start when you’re packing for a trip like this, so we’ve put this page together as a jumping-off point.
Please use it as a guide: there might be things on the list you don’t need, or things you’ll want to take that aren’t on the list.
Your Camp Setup
Winter in the outback is usually beautiful, warm and dry during the day and cold at night, but it can get windy and once in a blue moon it does rain, so come prepared for all weather:
- Somewhere to sleep: Tent / swag / camper trailer / camper van / caravan
- Sleeping gear: Mattress, pillows, sleeping bags / linen
- Shelter from the sun: Awnings, tarps, umbrellas, pop-up gazebos etc
- Wet weather: Extra tarps or awnings especially for swags and canvas tent
- Lighting: Torch & spare batteries, camp lanterns etc
- Table & chairs
- Bring a solid shelter with a waterproof floor.
- Bring a tarp - great for shelter from sun, wind or rain, protecting your tent floor or just a little privacy!
- Put a closed-cell foam mat under your inflatable mat for extra warmth and to protect from any prickles or lumpy rocks.
- Bring strong pegs for the red dirt, the campsite surface is relatively hard and firm, you're unlikely to require sand pegs.
- Avoid mesh-only tents - the dust comes right in.
Your Camp Kitchen
- Cooking gear: Stove and plenty of fuel/gas. Pans / Saucepans / Kettle
- Keep it cool: Fridge / esky with ice (limited supply of ice available for purchase at the Bash)
- Cleaning gear: Wash-up tub / Tea towel / Sponge / Dishwashing liquid
- Plate / Bowl / Mug / Cutlery
- Hand sanitiser
- Rubbish bags: You can dispose of 1 x 80L rubbish bag in the Mundiville Garbage Truck free of charge. Please take the rest of your rubbish with you. Find out more..
No glass is allowed in the concert, public or camp areas. Glass allowed in your camp kitchen only.
Grey water can be disposed of on your campsite, in moderation. Please ensure that any grey water drained onto your campsite doesn't run on to your neighbours campsite or any adjoining roads or paths. Please note STRICTLY NO BLACKWATER DISPOSAL ON SITE - take BLACKWATER to a dump point on your journey home.
Eating and Drinking
There’s a range of delicious food vendors at the Bash, but we recommend bringing some food with you as well. You can buy groceries in Broken Hill. There is no drinking water available at the Bash so make sure you fill up in Broken Hill before heading out to Mundi Mundi.
- Plenty of food and snacks
- Drinking water (Recommended 3L of drinking water per person per day)
- Extra water for washing up
- Cans/casks of alcohol
- Wraps keep better than bread
- Individually wrap fruit and vegetables in newspaper and store in a cardboard box to keep them fresh
- For quick and easy camp meals, pre-cook and cryovac or vacuum-pack your meals - soups, stews, curries and pasta dishes work great!
- Protection from the elements
- Hat, sunglasses
- Head net/fly net
- Lightweight scarf or ‘Buff’ .. to cover your face if it’s dusty. (You can buy a Mundi Mundi Bash buff at the Merchandise Tent!)
- Rain Jacket / umbrella / windproof/waterproof jacket
During the day it’s generally warm and sunny, so bring lightweight clothing to protect from the sun, eg.
- Long sleeved shirts
- Long pants
- Comfortable shoes/boots for walking on the dirt
It can get very cold at night, so bring plenty of warm clothing, eg.
- Long-sleeved thermals and a fleece
- Warm jackets and pants
- Beanie, Scarf, Gloves
You might want to think about adding these things to your regular toiletries:
- Toilet paper
- Moisturiser and lip balm (it is very dry in the outback!)
- Hand sanitiser
- Wet wipes (dry shower!)
- Insect Repellent
- Womens sanitary items
REMEMBER: you must bring ALL medications (there is no pharmacy at Mundiville)
Nice to Have
- Firewood (No firewood collection at the event. Limited supply available for purchase)
- Picnic blanket or chair for concert area
- Cash (credit card services are limited at the Bash)
- Car charger/portable power bank to recharge phone etc.
Mundiville Site Rules
Please click here to see the Mundi Mundi Bash site rules.
Emergency Gear and Safety
You’re going to need some extra emergency and repair gear for outback travel. Exactly what you need will depend on your vehicle and which route you’re taking.