In August 2021 we expect thousands of Bashers to come together to celebrate good music and good times on the Mundi Mundi plains in the Aussie outback.
We're working hard to play our important role in reducing waste and minimising our environmental footprint.
Sustainability Initiatives Include
- Composting toilets
- Aluminium can recycling
- Crew kitchen and vendor food waste to be composted
- Promoting reusable cups
We use hygienic odourless composting toilets rather than chemical portaloos.
They eliminate our water use, don’t smell, and under the watchful eye of our volunteer ‘dunny angels’ they will always be squeaky clean.
How do they work?
- For your number ones, nothing changes.
- For your number twos, simply cover it up with one scoop of sawdust.
- As you leave the toilet block, use the hand sanitiser pump pack to clean your hands.
The Bash is in a remote, dry part of Australia.
The normal chemical port-a-loos use:
- Hundreds of thousands of litres of fresh water for flushing.
- Two semi-trailer tankers to transport over 200,000 litres of liquid waste to Broken Hill Waste Treatment Plant every day!
- Several diesel-burning pump trucks to maintain them.
Advantages of Composting:
- No water (or transport of) needed for flushing.
- Drastically reduced transport needed for sewage.
- Only environmentally sound cleaning products used - no bleaches, formaldehyde or other chemicals.
- Within a year the dry compost is given to nearby farmers to fertilise their land.
Recycle Your Cans
Everyone likes to relax by the fire with a tinny after a long day*. At the Bash, where glass is prohibited (except in your camp kitchen), we see a lot of cans. In fact, we estimate that over half of the rubbish generated will be cans.
We'll be implementing can recycling for the Bash and we will collect, crush an recycle any aluminium cans deposited into our dedicated can recycling bins.
Our dedicated team of sustainability volunteers crush the cans down to transport off site to the nearest recycling depot. We've had such a great response to this initative at our Birdsville Big Red Bash festival, and anticipate we'll be collecting and recyling a whole bunch of cans at Mundiville too!
So when you’re at the Bash, please collect your cans and drop them in the recycling bins in the Plaza and Concert Area or at some of the campsite toilet blocks.
*Almost everyone :)
Composting food waste
We composting all food waste from food vendors!
Crew reducing our impact
We’re encouraging our whole team to invest in a reusable cup and reusable shopping bags.
The volunteer hang-out tent is plastic cup free.
We are composting all food waste from the crew kitchen.